Terra Ceia Island in Manatee County; A Little History
Terra Ceia is a small but pleasantly beautiful island in Manatee County, Florida, United States. It is an unincorporated census-designated place which boasts of the almost 1,932 acres of Terra Ceia Preserve land.
It’s a city located along the Gulf Coast of Florida on Tampa Bay. As noteworthy business area, it’s likewise reputed for its museum and other cultural and traditional offerings. Busch Gardens which is an African-themed park has areas for viewing animals and thrill rides. The neighborhood of the noteworthy Ybor City, created by Spanish and Cuban factory laborers at the wake of the twentieth century, is an eating and nightlife area.
History of Terra Ceia Island
Terra Ceia Island is a crucial place in the history of Florida. Situated at the downtown of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge on the Gulf Coast of Florida in between St. Petersburg and Bradenton, Terra Ceia history spreads over more than five hundred years and incorporates stories of Spanish Explorers, Indians, warriors, foreigners, and pioneers. The main known people that lived in Terra Ceia were the Timucan Indians. These individuals lived discreetly on Terra Ceia’s Western shore. Confirmation of their presence can be found in the shell hills that spot the area. Nobody knows precisely when the Timucans came to Terra Ceia or when they exited. Maybe they fled when they heard that the Spanish Hernando DeSoto and his men touched the base in the territory in 1539. The Spanish regularly caught indians to use as slaves and the indians may have experienced this practice. DeSoto and his men built up a camp at the Indian hills and camped there for six weeks before dispatching into North Florida.
Terra Ceia was at one time for the most part a community of agriculture in the 1840s. Terra Ceia was well known for its fertile soil on the island. At Terra Ceia Citrus, celery, pepper, vegetables and flowers were cultivated here. Its crops were famous to the point that the asters that were cultivated here were utilized at the William Taft’s inaugural parade. In 1897, the town was recorded to have a large number of 120 property holders. The town’s fundamental business area developed along Terra Ceia Bay at that time when shipping was done by water. Businesses and homes coated a waterfront route where businesses were based on docks for simple access by boats. The town lost its bay side business district when the railroad was constructed in the 1910s and the focal point of town moved further inland. The construction of the railroad, in all likelihood brought about a population increase and by 1913 the nearby newspaper reported that residents were about 700. Land at the time was estimated at $500 – $1,000 a section of land. (This is now worth $12,133.13 exactly and at the highest $24,266.26 in 2016). At the peak of the town, there was a packing house, a bank, a general store and a railroad depot. In 1926, the island was washed over by a tidal wave and that made it difficult to cultivate crops there. The Seaboard Airline railroad no more gave administration or the rail line. Also, the depot was abandoned.